Vendor lock-in refers to a situation whereby the cost of switching to a different vendor or platform is so high that you are essentially stuck with the original platform. Today on the show, Charles and Dave share personal stories of how they were forced to continue using a specific platform and what they did to rectify the various scenarios, plus they provide their insights on workaround strategies and how to prevent this from happening in the first place.
In this episode…
- Designing your API to be more agnostic to the vendor
- Changing environment variables
- Creating a rails applications with variables in mind
- How to avoid doing things manually vs. the risk of staying with the current platform
- Using rails credentials that can be shared for all connections within an infrastructure
- The risks of putting all your eggs in one software application basket