- Charles Max Wood
- Dave Kimura
- Eric Berry
- David Richards
Special Guests: Paweł Dąbrowski
In this episode of Ruby Rogues, the panelists talk to Paweł Dąbrowski about metaprogramming and DSLs. Paweł is a Ruby
developer, is on the iRonin
team, and runs a Ruby blog
, which he started in January 2018. They talk about his blog, the importance of contributing to the community, and why he chose to create his own version of RSpec
. They also touch on how hard it was to get into blog writing as a developer, the use of blog writing as a way to confirm your skills, and much more!
In particular, we dive pretty deep on:
- Paweł intro
- Build your own RSpec blog post
- Wanted to dive in and share his thoughts on the topic
- The importance of branding yourself
- He wants to be able to share his skills to others
- What prompted you to want to write a blog?
- Importance of contributing to the Ruby community
- Developer therapy
- Write a blog post and then make it into a script
- Do you find yourself going back to your blog posts in the future?
- Why did you decide to create your own version of RSpec?
- How far did you get into creating your own RSpec before it got really difficult?
- Remind yourself it’s just Ruby code
- Did you use TDD?
- Do you think about the application code differently now?
- Writing application code is easier for him now
- How hard was it to get into blog writing?
- The fear of the opinions of others
- Blog writing has changed the way he looks at code
- Blog writing as a way to confirm your skills
- His inspiration for the blog posts
- And much, much more!
Special Guest: Paweł Dąbrowski.