- Charles Max Wood
- David Richards
Special Guests: Aslak Hellesøy
In this episode of Ruby Rogues, the panelists talk to Aslak Hellesøy about Cucumber. Aslak has been a software developer since around 1997 and has been in the Ruby
community since around 2003. He created Cucumber
in 2008, which has been his hobby on the side since its creation. They talk about the difference between TDD and BDD, what Cucumber is, and how it works. They also stress the importance of having conversations in order to facilitate collaboration and trust.
In particular, we dive pretty deep on:
- Aslak intro
- What is the difference between TDD and BDD?
Selenium and Cypress
- With BDD, you lose your fast feedback loop and your flow
- People accept slow feedback loops
- The test pyramid
- Most tests should be uni-tests
- Why is it that full-stack tests are slow?
- io makes full-stack tests slow
- What is Cucumber?
- A tool that supports behavior-driven development (BDD)
- Having conversations around concrete examples
- Cucumber used to express examples
- Allows people to design the tests for the BDD flavor of TDD to develop a software
- Example mapping
- The importance of having the conversations
- Facilitating collaboration and trust
- Having face-to-face conversations
- And much, much more!
Special Guest: Aslak Hellesøy.