Panel: Charles Max Wood
Guest: Jerome Hardaway
and loved the ability to share his knowledge and interact with so many people from the community. He first got into programming by accident when he couldn’t find a job after becoming a veteran. He saw a commercial about job opportunities in coding, ended up finding a book on SQL and taught himself how to program. They talk about where he ran across Ruby on Rails, what he has worked on that he is particularly proud of, what he is doing currently, and more!
In particular, we dive pretty deep on:
- Jerome’s experience being a panelist on Ruby Rogues
- Loves being able to reach his goals in a speedy manner
- Ruby Rogues Episode 279
- How did you first get into programming?
- In the military during the recession and had trouble finding a job
- Saw a commercial about coding
- Taught himself SQL
- Focusing on making Vets Who Code better
- People would go for products over projects any day
- Chose Ruby on Rails
- Setting himself apart by picking to focus on Ruby on Rails
- Where did you come across Ruby on Rails?
- From PHP to Ruby on Rails
- Have you found the learning curve has gotten steeper for Rails?
- What have you done on Ruby in Rails that you are proud of?
- Being the right person for the job when you don’t look like it on paper
- What are you working on now?
- And much, much more!
- Take some time with the people you care about