In this episode of the Mix the panelists talk about Seniority. They lay out their own personal journeys towards getting a senior title and how they define seniority for themselves - especially how it goes beyond the ability to write code well.
Among other things they discuss:
- how to become fluent in reading and writing code
- how side projects are useful but not required to become a great developer
- how senior developers tend to approach problem solving and how to get better at that
- how interpersonal skills play at least an equal role as technical knowledge
- how specific tech know-how becomes less and less important the further developers climb the ladder - at least the managerial ladder
- how organizational structures cannot be ignored when building solutions
They close with some picks which they deem valuable for anybody who'd like to dig deeper into some of these ideas.